Follow Three Pedals on Facebook and Twitter!

Follow Three Pedals on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest posts, car news and the best car memes!

Widget Recent Post No.

The best thing about liking cars? That'll be the emotion...

As cheesy as that title may sound, I will completely stand by that for as long as it is necessary, because it's true. Let's start with a really good statement from the ever-controversial Jeremy Clarkson:


The world's biggest Marmite person, do you love or hate?

"It's what non-car people don't get.
They see all cars as just ton-and-a-half, two-tons of wires, glass, metal and rubber.
That's all they see.
People like you or I know, we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entities.
You can develop a relationship with a car.
And that's just what non-car people don't get."




Good god. When I first read that, it almost brought a tear to my eye. How could it have been worded any better? Quite simply, a lot of people see cars as objects that will get them from A to B - a necessity in life, just like a vacuum cleaners are objects that will clear the house so posh people won't turn up their noses at your home. They are not toys, they aren't there to be upgraded or tuned, they both just serve a simple purpose in life.

That is not what a car person can see. A car person will see soul and blood, sweat and tears in a car. Most importantly, they will see something that will provide them with endless joy. If you are a proper petrolhead, you can look at pretty much any car right now and there will be a guarantee that it'll be a fun drive. Except cars with a CVT gearbox. God no.

This of course makes everyday journeys a pleasure. It's like a kick only a select few of people can get from such everyday tasks. I feel so proud that I can be someone who takes a car to the rev-limiter... for fun. For the rush.

A car becomes your second wife. You will treat her to anything she desires, and only the best tyres will do. You will do anything so she is as healthy and performing as well as she possibly can. Chances are, you pamper the car more than the actual missus. 

I thought this was amazing!
And what I love the most, is that I and other petrolheads can fall in love with pretty much any car. For example, from 2005 until 2010, my parents had a 2002 Vauxhall Vectra in beige with a 1.8 litre engine, which is widely regarded as one of the worst cars in the world. But I loved the car. I always thought the 122bhp the car made was really punchy and that the noise it made was amazing. I'd even spend time just looking at it. I would happily spend my time looking at one of the world's most boringly designed cars, because I had an emotional attachment to it. When I was younger, I had no idea why my parents didn't string out 2nd gear, or make the front wheels chirrup. I didn't know the petrolhead was such an exclusive club.

If you are reading this, chances are you are a petrolhead of some kind. We are part of a special breed of people. We are people who take something ordinary, and make it extraordinary. 
The best thing about liking cars? That'll be the emotion... The best thing about liking cars? That'll be the emotion... Reviewed by Jack Cooper on February 19, 2014 Rating: 5

No comments:

Jack Cooper. Powered by Blogger.